Mechanical Design Engineer
We are looking for a talented Mechanical Laser Design Engineer to contribute towards the enhancement and improvement of our opto-mechanical systems design working in an innovative and intradisciplinary environment.
• Opto-mechanical design of laser systems, focusing on creating reliable and robust mechanical systems.
• Creation and review of detailed component drawings, product and test specifications
• Contribute to design strategies that lead to optimal manufacturability and reliability, including VAVE: to ensure design is optimised for machining of parts; simple and ease of assembly and laser alignment working with the manufacturing teams; and the reliability and performance in the multiple customer applications.
• BOM transfer from R&D to Production, and BOM sustaining activities over the product lifetime
• Support BOM change management / sustaining activities over the product lifetime, for all products.
• Collaboration with engineers of various technical disciplines
• Design of parts and modules to achieve the required performance that can be realized from a technical and supply chain perspective
• Research and understand material, opto-mechanical, thermal, adhesive, and outgassing specifications from product requirements to produce best possible mechanical designs
• Technical liaison with mechanical subcontractors
• Test and validation of new and existing opto-mechanical assemblies and products to determine best materials, adhesives, fasteners, outgassing specifications, and packaging.
• Contribute to root-cause analysis
• Communicate analysis to project teams and management
• Prototype development and testing
• Conversion of basic design information and requirements into working drawings
• Tolerance analysis
• Research materials for future design opportunities and usage
Required qualifications & experience
• Masters or Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering/Mechatronics/Opto-Mechanics
• 1+ years of experience in working in laser product development or laser applied research.
• Mechanical Design
• Proficiency in Solidworks
• Working knowledge of SolidWorks PDM module
• Knowledge of machining and fabrication processes
• Good knowledge and hands-on experience in general mechanics and electronics and/or optics
• Strong innovation, analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work on your own and as a part of a team
• Multi-tasking and prioritizing to achieve tight deadlines
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Electro-mechanical design
• Opto-mechanical design
• Good understanding of optics and laser principles
• Experience in DPSS laser assembly
• DPSS Laser design
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in the UK.