Skylark Lasers is a leading-edge photonics company based in Edinburgh specializing in the development and production of CW single frequency DPSS lasers. We are trusted by clients in research and industry worldwide.
Skylark Lasers is looking for a motivated R&D engineer to join our innovation team. Our single-frequency lasers are unique, filling an important niche in both scientific and industrial markets covering the ultraviolet and visible wavelength ranges.
Our company is rapidly evolving, with a culture based on teamwork, curiosity and innovation. You’ll be based at our Edinburgh offices in our state-of-the-art cleanroom facilities, working with industry experts solving problems, and pushing technical boundaries every day.
We are looking for problem-solvers, quick learners, who have a real passion for optical engineering. Our innovation team focuses on new research, generating and testing new ideas in the lab and through simulation. On a day to day basis you will be tasked to generate design packages analysing new ideas relevant to complex optical systems, including athermal imaging systems, spatial modulators and non-linear optics.
Required qualifications & experience
• Practical experience and understanding of laser alignment
• Experience with designing and modelling of complex optical systems, preferably using OpticStudio.
• Excellent analytical skills with an eye for detail and accuracy
• Ability to interpret detailed technical information and convey to colleagues and stakeholders
• Ability to multitask
• Work well within a team and interfacing with customers
• Degree in STEM subject
• Eligibility to work full-time in the UK
• PhD or MSc in relevant field in Physics or Engineering
• Experience in 3D design software packages: Solidworks, SolidEdge etc.
• Software experience in Python, C++, OpticStudio, COMSOL
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in the UK.